Frequently Asked Questions
An approved Co-regulatory Arrangement (CA) is an organisation that undertakes a set of activities or measures taken, on behalf of liable parties, to achieve the outcomes and requirements specified in the Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Regulations 2011. ANZRP is an approved Co-regulatory Arrangement.
Under the Regulations, television, computer and computer product importers and local manufacturers will meet their obligations by becoming a member of an approved arrangement that collects and recycles waste television and computer products on their behalf. For the arrangement to be approved, the administrator must apply to the Minister for the Environment or his/her delegate for approval.
The National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme (NTCRS) is funded by Liable Parties, which are organisations that import or manufacture more than 5,000 televisions, more than 5,000 computers or printers, or over 15,000 units of computer products annually. There is no direct Government funding of the scheme. Drop off of end of life television and computer products at an approved arrangement’s site is free to members of the community or small business.
The NTCRS is responsible for 35% of the cost of the entire e-waste stream in Australia in 2014/15, with State and Local Governments responsible for the remaining 65%.
All end-of-life televisions, computer and computer accessories and peripherals regardless of date of manufacture or manufacturer will be accepted and recycled under the NTCRS.
All current overseas e-waste recycling models were reviewed as part of the Scheme’s development. The NTCRS adopts aspects of a number of different models and reflects those considered most suitable for Australia.
In particular the “waste arising” approach where liable parties pay on the basis of the actual waste that is collected rather than a fixed fee for every product sold was considered to be fair and efficient. Each Liable Party pays for their share of the waste according to their current market share of imports and manufacturing.
The co-regulatory model means that while government provides a regulatory safety net to ensure a level playing field and that all Liable Parties participate, it is up to industry how it achieves the outcomes specified in the regulation. Co-regulation allows industry to design competitive flexible recycling programs that will minimise costs to consumers while leaving government to focus on policing and compliance.
The regulation does not distinguish between business and consumer products except to say that products brought to a recycling centre by consumers or by small businesses must be recycled for free. Many Liable Parties already have their own commercial arrangements for collecting and recycling products from their business customers. These programs will continue under existing commercial terms and the Liable Parties will report the volume that they have recycled to their approved Co-regulatory Arrangement. B2B product that has been recycled by Liable Parties will count towards the recycling targets.
The government has used Customs data as the means of determining which importers are Liable Parties and also to calculate individual liable party market shares.
As customs data is only available in units of product and because recycled waste is measured in weight (tonnes) it was necessary to convert the units to weight. http://anzrp.com.au/faq/The conversion factors were developed by the government based on information provided by importers on the total number of units and their actual weight imported over the past 3 years.
They are regularly reviewed under the legislation.
The amount that you will have to pay depends on your market share of the total products imported in your class of products. If you are a Liable Party you will have received a letter from the Department of the Environment with a Statement of Advice on Record of Imports advising of your market share and liability.